Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sardines: The ultimate snack food

One thing that is inconvenient about eating Paleo is that you can't really partake in convenience foods. Hot Pockets and Cup o' Noodles are not Paleo friendly in the least.

So what do you do when you want something portable and healthy?

Sardines to the rescue! Just open the can and enjoy. They are high in omega-3 fats and protein. Also, since sardines are plankton eaters they are not contaminated with mercury and numerous enough that they are in no danger of being over-fished. Win/win all the way around.

Oh, I see you crinkling up your nose. Ewww. Have you actually tried them? I was guilty of this as well. I tried a few different brands. I didn't like all of them, but I found I really enjoyed King Oscar "Tiny Tots" in olive oil - available at my local Raley's supermarket. I hear Trader Joe's has them as well.

To be truthful, they're not my favorite anymore. My #1 pick is now King Oscar Mediterranean Style. Holy cow is that tasty! The only downside is that they snuck in some sunflower oil along with the olive oil. It's pretty far down the list of ingredients so I guess I can compromise.

What's wrong with sunflower oil you ask? Stay tuned. I'll be talking about that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment